All News Archives
STLCC Student Newspapers Earn 50 Awards from MCMA
April 18, 2017
|Members of The Montage staff include, first row, from left, Ashley Biundo, Dalila Kahvedzic, Katie Hayes, Caroline Frank, Amanda Harris and Missy Arneson; and second row, from left, Jordan Morris, Erik Muchinske, DJ McGuire, Stephen Buechter and Ian Schrauth.|
Student newspapers at St. Louis Community College earned 50 individual and staff awards in the two-year college division at the recent Missouri College Media Association Convention at Missouri Western State University.
The Montage, STLCC-Meramec’s newspaper, received second place in the Sweepstakes category, second for the Best Overall Newspaper, and first place in the Special Section category for its Back to School Guide.
STLCC-Forest Park’s newspaper, The Scene, took first in the Sweepstakes category, and third for Best Overall Newspaper.
Entries in the competition were judged for general excellence by members of the Missouri Press Association. MCMA is an organization of student newspapers and yearbooks at universities and community colleges across the state.
The Montage’s individual award winners were:
- News Writing – Andrew Ameer, honorable mention
- Feature Writing – Dalila Kahvedzic, honorable mention; Marie Schwarz, honorable mention
- Sports Writing – Christian Hargas, third
- In-Depth Reporting – Katie Hayes, first; Katie Leicht, Jason Waters and Patrick Niehaus, second
- Investigative Reporting – Katie Hayes, second and third
- News Photography – Ashley Biundo, second
- Feature Photography – Dalila Kahvedzic, second
- Sports Photography – Erik Muchinske, honorable mention; D.J. McGuire, honorable mention
- Non-Political Editorial Cartoon – Brittney Farrow, third
- Information Graphic – Marissa Diercks, first
- Story Illustration – Jason Waters and Lexie Keller, first; Katie Hayes and Marissa Diercks, third
- Page 1 Design – Marissa Diercks and Dalila Kahvedzic, third
- Editorial Section – Caroline Frank, Stephen Buechter, Jordan Morris, Missy Arneson and Andrew Ameer, first
- Sports Page – Katie Hayes, Jordan Morris and Marie Schwarz, first; Christian Hargas and Dalila Kahvedzic, second
- Feature Page – Jason Waters, Brittney Farrow, Katie Hayes and Dalila Kahvedzic, first
- Video – Marie Schwarz, honorable mention.
The Montage has consistently won awards for excellence in student journalism at the state and national levels for many years. Recent awards include national recognition from the Society of Professional Journalists with a Mark of Excellence Award and a Pacemaker Award from the Associated Collegiate Press.
Scene adviser Terri Maddox noted that this is the first year in recent memory that the campus newspaper has received the Sweepstakes Award.
The Scene’s individual award winners were:
- News Writing -- Rylie Frohock, first; Chris Cunningham, second
- Feature Writing -- Chris Cunningham, first and third; Shileha Churchill, second
- Sports Writing -- Timothy Bold, first and second
- In-Depth News -- Rylie Frohock, third and honorable mention
- Investigative Reporting -- Chris Cunningham, first
- Regular Column -- Samantha Higgins, first; Rylie Frohock, second
- Entertainment Review -- Chris Cunningham, second; and Timothy Bold, third
- News Photography -- Isaiah Brooks, third
- Feature Photography -- Garrieth Crockett, first
- Political/Editorial Cartoon -- Jerome Clark, first
- Page 1 Design -- Darryl Reece, second
- Photo Page -- Vincent St. Vincent, DeJuan Baskin and Claudio Cobos, first; Darryl Reece, Kalia White and Isaiah Brooks, second; Darryl Reece and Garrieth Crockett, third
- Feature Page -- Garrieth Crockett, Timothy Bold and Kalia White, second; Darryl Reece, Chris Cunningham and DeJuan Baskin, third.
|Forest Park's student newspaper, The Scene, captured 25 staff and individual awards at the recent Missouri College Media Association Convention.|