Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
Offered through Business, Management and Technology
@ Florissant Valley | Forest Park | Meramec
This program provides you with the technical skills and knowledge required to design, write, implement, secure and maintain business software systems in the enterprise. It teaches the principles of software architecture using current development tools, languages and environments. The courses in the web, software developer and database focus areas enable you to pursue in-depth skill and expertise within one of these three areas while preparing for industry-recognized certificates.
The recommended academic plan blends general education requirements with options for areas of concentration to ensure students get the most out of their certificate or degree.
The courses in the program provide a combination of online, distance learning and intensive, classroom-based, hands-on skills development. When you complete the program, you are prepared for a variety of industry certification exams as well as entry-level employment as software developer or to pursue advanced studies in software design and development. This program features dedicated labs and classrooms, and one-to-one equipment ratio, the optimal experience for skill development.
Important qualities of a software developer
- Analytical skills. Developers must analyze users’ needs and then design software to meet those needs.
- Communication skills. Developers must be able to give clear instructions to others working on a project. They must also explain to their customers how the software works and answer any questions that arise.
- Creativity. Developers are the creative minds behind new computer software.
- Detail oriented. Developers often work on many parts of an application or system at the same time and must therefore be able to concentrate and pay attention to detail.
- Interpersonal skills. Software developers must be able to work well with others who contribute to designing, developing, and programming successful software.
- Problem-solving skills. Because developers are in charge of software from beginning to end, they must be able to solve problems that arise throughout the design process.
More than one million students have attended STLCC. It’s the largest institute of higher education in the region and the second largest in Missouri.
Faculty and Staff
St. Louis Community College expands minds and changes lives every day by offering high-quality educational experiences leading to degrees, certificates, employment, university transfer and life-long learning.
This program features dedicated labs and classrooms and one-to-one equipment ratio, the optimal experience for skill development.
Employment of software developers is projected to grow 24 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations.
The median annual wage for software developers, applications was $100,080 in May 2016. The median annual wage for software developers, systems software was $106,860 in May 2016.
(Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Software Developers)