Credit Card Convenience Fees begin Aug. 1
Wednesday, July 22, 2020
After considerable review of budget concerns and reduced funding, and with an awareness of the impact to students and the communities it serves, St. Louis Community College will implement credit card convenience fees, effective Aug. 1. The rate is 2.75%.
“St. Louis Community College is mindful of our responsibility to be diligent stewards of the funds entrusted to us by our students and the constituents who support us. The College is committed to providing excellent education and career programs that are affordable and valuable. We are always focused on different ways to reduce operating costs and to keep tuition affordable,” said Paul Zinck, vice chancellor, finance and administration.
Currently, STLCC covers the cost of convenience charges for using credit cards to pay tuition, fees and other charges.
“The cost to the College for accepting credit card payments is approximately $400,000 per year. By discontinuing the practice of paying credit card service fees, we can use the cost savings to further our mission to empower students, expand minds and change lives,” said Zinck.
The change primarily impacts payments for tuition and fees:
- Debit and/or credit card payments will only be accepted online. The charges will be processed through CASHNet.
- MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express will be accepted for online payments.
- Tuition and fee payments made by check will not have additional charges.
- Campus cashiers’ offices will only accept payments for tuition and fees with cash, check or money orders. The cashiers’ offices will no longer accept credit or debit card transactions, including those paid in-person or by mail.
- Payments by telephone with a credit card will no longer be available.
Pay by check to avoid convenience charges
Students can avoid credit card convenience fees by paying with a check online for tuition, fees and other materials. Checks will be processed by automated clearinghouse (ACH) with a bank routing number and checking account number.
STLCC campus bookstores will not charge convenience fees for any purchases made by credit card, to include textbooks, supplies, gifts, clothing, food, beverages, etc., during fall 2020.
Child Development Laboratory Center
Students and families at the Child Development Laboratory Center at STLCC-Florissant Valley will also transition to credit card convenience fees of 2.75% starting Aug. 1. Families will have an online account using CASHNet. Payments for tuition at CDLC can still be paid by check without additional fees.