Service Learning and Civic Engagement
Service learning is a teaching method which combines community service with academic instruction as it focuses on critical, reflective thinking and civic responsibility. Service learning programs engage students in experiential learning that addresses local needs, while developing their academic skills, civic responsibility and commitment to the community.
Service learning links theory to practice and demonstrates community applications for course content. It reinforces knowledge retention and allows students to explore career options, build their resume and develop vital leadership and communication skills.
- Preparation – Identify and research community needs
- Service – Provide meaningful service to address the community needs
- Personal Reflection – Develop new understanding, skills and knowledge from service experience
- Demonstration and Recognition – Students share their knowledge and accomplishments through papers, presentations, documentaries, etc.
Civic engagement or community service provides assistance to community organizations without the depth of preparation of service learning. Giving service can become a life-long practice that broadens and deepens student awareness of issues and needs of the community.
Benefits of Service Learning and Civic Engagement:
- Increase understanding of course content through real-world experience
- Confirm or redirect career choices and learn job skills
- Engage in more introspection and evaluation as part of learning
- Build a strong resume with successful work experiences - semester of service for letters of recognition. Contact Debbie Corson for additional information
- Create worthwhile partnerships for networking
- Work with others who are different from you in socioeconomic status, education level, race, ethnicity, physical ability and cultural background
- Gain a sense of accomplishment, pride, self-worth and become a more caring and active citizen
- Contribute to the quality of life and strengthen knowledge of the community
- Become actively engaged citizens and leaders
- Encourage life-long civic participation and personal responsibility
- Gain valuable and unexpected experiences
- STLCC Community Partners Catalog
- Volunteer Events Calendar
- Semester of Service Flyer
- Service Works Club Flyer
- Blackboard Connection for Faculty (resources and information)
- Blackboard Connection for Students (resources and information)
- Lynn Suydam Service Learning Grant