Central Sterile Processing
Offered through Health Professions
@ Forest Park
Central Sterile Processing Technicians are responsible for cleaning, decontaminating, sterilizing, and distributing medical and surgical instrumentation, making them the most vital contributors to the delivery of safe, high-quality patient care. Whether starting a career in Central Sterile Processing or already working in the field, this program will help you establish a foundation in central service workflow and concerns, basic job knowledge and skills and basic job responsibilities.
Next class begins April 2023. Enrollment is selective and seats fill quickly. Apply with BJC HealthCare to get started today!
BJC HealthCare is seeking qualified individuals that want to work as Central Sterile Processing Department Technicians (CSPD Techs) while preparing to earn the Certified Registered Central Services Technician credential. Students in the CSPD Tech program will complete 100 hours of hybrid classroom instruction and 400+ hours of on-the-job training. Classroom hours includes live virtual lecture, independent online activities, and face-to-face skill labs at the STLCC-Forest Park campus. On-the-job training will be completed at an assigned BJC HealthCare hospital. Program topics include anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, infection prevention and control, tools for cleaning, safety, sterilization, and decontamination. Upon completion of training, successful students will sit for the national certification exam.
Now accepting applications for spring 2023 training. Enrollment is selective and seats may fill before the application deadline.
|Start Date||Application Deadline||Format||Campus||Clinical Partner||Training Details|
|April 17||April 3||Hybrid||Forest Park||BJC HealthCare||CSPT Flyer - Spring 2023|
The CSPT program is 24 weeks in length. Individuals must be able to commit to a full time 40-hour per week training and employment schedule. Please see below for more details.
- Classroom Instruction | 1-2 days weekly from 1-5 p.m. for live virtual lecture (LVL). Additional hours for online coursework.
- Skill Labs | 1 day bi-weekly from 1-5 p.m. at STLCC-Forest Park campus.
- On-the-Job Training | 400+ hours as assigned at a BJC HealthCare Hospital.
Participating BJC HealthCare hospitals include Alton Memorial Hospital, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis Children's Hospital, Missouri Baptist Medical Center, Christian NE/NW Hospital, Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, Barnes-Jewish St. Peter's Hospital, Progress West Health Center, Parkland Health Center, Missouri Baptist -Sullivan, Memorial Belleville Hospital, and Memorial Belleville Hospital - East.
Cost of Program
Funding is available for those that are selected for the program. Requires a 1-year fulltime employment commitment to BJC HealthCare upon completion.
Enrollment for the CSPT program is selective. All candidates that apply will be required meet the program eligibility requirements and be selected for training/employment. Candidates will be provided instructions to complete their eligibility steps after they have submitted their application and completed their initial interview. Candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Meet transfer eligibility requirements if an existing BJC HealthCare employee
- Complete all steps in the BJC CSPD Tech selection process:
- Complete BJC HealthCare employment application
- Complete screening interview with BJC Talent Acquisition Specialist
- Complete STLCC training application
- Meet required benchmark on fit assessment
- Complete full interview and be selected by BJC HealthCare staff
- Pass a criminal background check, drug screen panel, and physical exam with documented proof of immunizations or titers
The CSPT training is currently being delivered in a hybrid format. Students will need the following technology to participate.
- Desktop or laptop computer with an updated operating system. NOTE: Cell phones are not sufficient for completing the coursework requirements in this program.
- Webcam and microphone.
- Reliable, high-speed internet connection.
- Updated Internet browser (Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox).
- Adobe Reader or alternative PDF reader (free).
- Microsoft Office. Students have access to MS Office 365 for free with their student email.
Clinical and Field Work
Some degree and certificate programs offered by the college require students to obtain clinical learning experience as part of their course work. Hospitals and health facilities may mandate that a criminal background check and/or drug screening check be conducted prior to placement in a clinical setting and as part of an employer’s screening process. Students not passing these checks may be prohibited from participating in the clinical learning experience
Questions? Contact the CE call center at 314-984-7777 for more information.
Want to stay in-the-know as new cohorts become available?
Text STLCCaccelerated to 22828 and provide your email address. At the beginning of each month, you'll receive an emailed list of upcoming accelerated training programs. Easily unsubscribe at any time. Text message and data rates may apply.