Deaf Services at STLCC
Deaf Services provides interpreting, notetaking, and/or real-time captioning services to students, faculty, and staff. Our goal is to remove communication or educational barriers for deaf and hard of hearing individuals.
At St. Louis Community College, we offer a variety of services to students who qualify. You can meet with the District-Wide Deaf Services Coordinator to discuss the various services and to discuss the expectations while using these services. For general questions regarding Deaf Services please send us an email.
Click to request interpreter or real-time transcription services.
At St. Louis Community College, we provide a variety of supports to eligible deaf or hard of hearing students. A few of those supports are listed below:
- DEAF TUTOR to provide direct communication access for students using American Sign Language.
- Free access to software that that provides auto captions as a backup transcript of lectures, meetings, or conversations.
- Specialized SMART STETHOSCOPES that provide sound amplification and visualization.
- Video recorded classes to allow for students to review interpreted class lectures.
- Notetakers that have completed training offered by the National Deaf Center.
- Professional counseling services available at no cost to currently enrolled STLCC students. (*sensitive to the importance of preferred interpreters for sessions)
- FM Systems Hard of Hearing students may request an FM Listening System for use in the classroom environment.
Other helpful community resources for deaf and hard of hearing students
- 24/7 Crisis Counseling in ASL: DeafLEAD is a non-profit agency that provides 24-hour crisis intervention, advocacy, case management, interpreting and mental health services to Deaf, hard of hearing, DeafBlind, and late-deafened individuals who are victims of crime and their families, as well as support to individuals, agencies, and organizations providing victim services to individuals with a hearing loss.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VR): STLCC has a great relationship with VR and we can work with you and your VR counselor to provide specific information as well as assist with college processes.