Most successful online students tend to share the following characteristics:
- Good organization and time-management skills
- Familiar with computers and the Internet
- Resourceful and actively seeks answers and solutions to questions and problems
- Are you good at estimating and following through with how much time you need to accomplish daily activities?
- When thinking about your commitments like work, family, friends, volunteer activities and sports, do you have time several days each week to complete online class assignments?
- Do you feel comfortable working on a computer and have reliable access to the Internet?
- Are you comfortable communicating through the written word and waiting (sometimes up to 24 hours) to receive an answer to a question?
- Do you enjoy reading and writing, and are you in the habit of doing both most days?
If you answered yes to all of these, online classes are right for you!
If you answered yes to most of these, think about how you can modify your habits to be successful in online classes.
If you answered no to most or all of these, speak to your advisor about which classes are right for your schedule and lifestyle.
You can find out if you have what it takes to be a successful online learning student by taking our online SmarterMeasure assessment.